Why is Cottage cheese so good

One of the biggest benefits of cottage cheese is the high amount of casein protein found in it. It is believed that cow’s milk contains the highest amount of casein protein among various kinds of milk. The amount of protein contained in cottage cheese is ideal for vegetarians in supplying them with the required amount of daily protein. Cottage cheese does not require any amount of cooking and it can be consumed directly.

Casein

Cottage cheese is one of the top food sources of casein, a slow-digesting milk protein that accounts for about 80 percent of the protein in milk (the other 20 percent is whey protein). The fact that it’s digested slowly means that it provides a steady release of amino acids to rebuild and repair muscle fibres, and to help prevent muscle breakdown.

Low lactose

For those who avoid dairy due to lactose intolerance or sensitivity, you just might be in luck with cottage cheese. It still contains some lactose, but only about 1.7 grams per 4-ounce serving, compared to more than 12 grams of lactose in a cup of milk. If that’s still too much for your belly to tolerate, Lactaid makes a lactose-free cottage cheese (the lactase enzyme is added to “digest” the lactose for us). The carbs are higher though, with 7 grams of carbs per half-cup serving (more than double that of regular cottage cheese).

Weight Loss

There are multiple reasons why cottage cheese is excellent for those who are trying to lose weight. First, the ratio of calories to protein is excellent in lean cottage cheese, giving you the protein you need with surprisingly low calories. The aforementioned calcium plays a role in weight loss as well, as research indicates that it reduces the amount of fat stored as well as increased overall fat burn. An even more powerful finding was that the brain is proven to check for calcium, and if it detects a lack, then it increases your hunger to compensate, so clearly getting enough calcium is vital to healthy weight loss.

Reduces Risk of Cardiovascular Disease

In addition to heart benefits aided by calcium, cottage cheese also has a potent amount of magnesium, a nutrient crucial to heart health and the prevention of heart attacks. Additionally, cottage cheese is low in saturated fat, and is considered to be a heart friendly food for those who have to be aware of cardio issues.

Promoting Healthy Chemical Functions in the Body

While macronutrients like protein and fat get a lot of the attention, vitamins and minerals perform functions in the body that are just as vital. Cottage cheese is rich in Vitamin A, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc, each of which plays a crucial role in bodily functions. If even one of these vitamins is lacking, it could affect your entire system, energy level, and performance, and cottage cheese is an excellent way to ensure that you get the most important nutrients.

Cottage Cheese and Muscle Gain

A diet including high-protein foods can help you increase muscle mass when combined with resistance training. Also, the specific proteins in cottage cheese are particularly effective at helping you build muscle. Casein accounts for 80% of its protein content and is considered to be a slowly absorbed protein. It’s just as effective as whey protein at building muscle and better at inhibiting muscle breakdown due to its slower absorption. Casein also promotes prolonged absorption of the amino acid leucine, which has been linked to increased muscle building capacity.

Many bodybuilders like to eat cottage cheese before bed. This leads to a sustained release of amino acids into the blood and muscles during the night, which may reduce muscle breakdown.

Readtitontheweb will be reviewing various brands of Cottage cheese products and letting you know the best quality.

 

 

Share this...
Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn